Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Breaking Your Limitations


No matter what your fitness goals are, do you put in just enough effort to maintain or do you take it beyond your comfort zone to be extraordinary? If you want to be great, you have to push your mind and body beyond your limitations.
You wouldn’t know it by looking at me that I have asthma and I’m also allergic to my cats. My symptoms of asthma and cat allergies are: wheezing and shortness of breath. How does this affect my workout? I have two choices:
1) Avoid my cardio exercises all together in fear of an asthma attack.
Or
2) Push myself beyond my own limitations.
Having asthma and cat allergies, running would be the most challenging to me. Instead of replacing running with an easier exercise, I choose to master it.
As a society, we have hundreds of reasons not to workout but you only need one good reason to workout and that is to be healthy. I can pity myself for not having perfect lungs by not exercising but I choose not to. In fact, I use that weakness to motivate me to be stronger. Amongst other exercises, I jog 4 miles every other day and over time, I’ve trained my body and lungs to the point where I have so much control and endurance. Cardio is by far my top workout as it builds up my endurance and nothing is better to me than a runner’s high.
At home, I have my 2 cats that I’m allergic to plus my asthma, which makes it even harder for me to breath when I jog. I normally jog a 10 minutes mile, it takes me 40 minutes to complete my 4 miles jog. When I do my home workouts, it takes me longer but I don’t avoid it just because it’s harder and uncomfortable. My lungs work extra hard having the cats around. But no matter how long it takes to complete my 4 miles, I just do it! I’ll stop and walk if I need allowing me to catch my breath but I would never compromise my workout just because I have a less than perfect lungs. I give it my best effort and I improve upon it. I fight to become great.
The way I see it, you can train your mind and body to break your limitations. You have two choices, push yourself and become extraordinary or you can just be average. The choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment