Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Appreciation, Focus & Perspective

In this economy, many people are frustrated.  This is the time that you should take a moment to appreciate the things you have and the people in your life.  There’s always something to appreciate.  Getting frustrated will get you nowhere.  Take a moment to focus on yourself and find a solution.  If you find that you’re going through a difficult situation, remember that there is always someone worse off than you.

In Vietnam, my family was very well off but that was all taken away during the Fall of Saigon (Vietnam War) and we lost everything we have.  It wasn’t easy but my mom worked and mange to pay my uncle $18,000 US dollar for the 6 of us including myself to flee the country by boat.  My uncle took the money and left us behind.  Full of determination, my mom later managed to pay a complete stranger the same and got us out of Vietnam.  We lived in a refugee camp in Singapore for 2 years until we were able to come to the US.  Life wasn’t easy but when you have nothing, there’s only one way to go…up! 

The fist time I remember seeing my mom was when I was 12 yrs old when she came over to the US and joined the rest of the family.  I remembered her still wanting to see my uncle even though he stole from her.  She told us all that we must forgive him for what he’s done.  Although I’ve learned to forgive, it doesn’t mean I’ll allow bad people into my life.

I learned a lot from my mom.  She was a beautiful, strong yet simple woman.  She didn’t know how to hate and didn’t hold any resentment with my uncle.  We didn’t have a lot for having to start our lives over but my mom always managed to send money back to Vietnam to help people that were worse off than we were.  Even at church, she would give a nickel even if that was all she could afford to give. 

My family couldn’t afford to send their kids to college but paid for one of my cousins’ education and I remembered asking her once, “Why do you give money to strangers and not your own family?”  She said, “You’ll do just fine, other people need it more”.  What my mom meant was that in America, we have the opportunity to achieve anything we desire.  You just have to work for it and sometimes you have to work really hard.

By American standards, we had nothing but compared to others we had an opportunity to make our lives better.  I basically had two choices:  I could be resentful or I could be independent on my own.  I chose to be independent and for years, I struggled with no help but it made me the strong person I am today. I learned early on that I can’t focus on the obstacles.  I forgive people who did me wrong and not live with any resentment.  I focus on my goals and I refuse to let the negativity get the best of me.

You can’t always control the situation like the economy, but you can control your response and action towards it.  If you think you’re having a bad day, think about the wounded Veterans coming back from the war.  When you feel badly about yourself, go help someone worse off than you. Times are tough right now, you may not able to change your immediate situation, but you can make a big difference in somebody else’s life and you’ll feel better about yourself.  A small gesture goes a long way.  Go visit the wounded soldiers, help the disabled or volunteer your time.  It’ll help you to put things in perspective. 

When life gets rough, buckle down.  Appreciate the little things you have.  Don’t feel sorry for yourself, don’t blame anyone for your misfortune.  Don’t focus on the things you can’t control.  Focus on yourself and find a solution.  Think, get organized and be responsible for yourself.  Fight for what you want.  Dream, believe and achieve!

No comments:

Post a Comment