Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sense of Self

Do you see yourself the same as the world sees you?  How many of you take the time to write a bio about yourself?  How would you describe yourself?  Do you write the truth or you write to sound impressive?  Do you perceive yourself the same as how others perceive you?

Recently, I met a woman on line and on paper she said all the rights things.  Independent, intelligent, artistic, out going, adventurous and athletic, these descriptions always catch my attention because I’ve always been drawn to people with common characteristics.  After a few email ex-change, we met for lunch.  To my surprise she was nothing like the way she described herself on paper. 

She didn’t have a job and her fiancé supports her.   She was very conservative and I can tell she was high maintenance, as she would brag about the material things that her fiancé bought her.  Not long after meeting her, I could tell that she had a brain the size of a peanut and she’s nowhere near being athletic or adventurous.  Needless to say we had absolutely nothing in common and I found it to be a waste of time but I got through lunch and never saw her again.

I found myself wondering why she would describe herself with those characteristics?  Was she delusional?  If I had to describe her, it would be:  conservative, reserved, high- maintenance, boring, ordinary, materialistic and fake.  But I guess if she had used these actual descriptions, we probably would never have meet for lunch.  Then I thought, maybe she was that way a very long time ago or perhaps she is when compared to in her own circle.  She had no sense of self and doesn’t realize she’s not the person that she described.

It got me thinking about myself and how others perceive me.  The worst thing for me is being judged by my appearance.  Thinking that I have breast implants or being categorize as high maintenance.  There’s nothing wrong with it, but I’m not that type.  It doesn’t bother me too much because I have a sense of self and know exactly who I am.  It’s not always pleasant but I do straighten people out when I need to. 

Some people spend their whole life not knowing themselves.  The next time you write a description about yourself, think about who you really are now and look deep inside.  It’s good to have a realistic sense of self.  If you don’t, you may find yourself wearing a mask.  If you find you’re describing yourself as you used to be or want to be then maybe it’s time to take action to become the person you dream of being.






No comments:

Post a Comment